Cake Mix Mini Bundt Cakes

Mini Bundt Cakes
With a recent birthday gift certificate I purchased a fancy Nordic mini bundt cake pan. It makes 6 mini bundt cakes with 3 different intricate mold designs.

I don't often makes cake for the two us as a full size cake or a 9x11 pan cake is too large, so I make cup cakes and freeze them for an occasional dessert,  but these mini cakes are really extra special.  

I think they'd be great for potlucks, or bake sales.  They're larger than a cup cake  


Mini Bundt Cakes
Mini Bundt Cakes










I watch for boxed cake mixes when they go on sale for around a dollar and stock up on several flavors, as I also use them for making cookies.  I googled for various bundt cake recipes, then decided to use a simple boxed yellow cake mix to launch my pans.  With such intricate molds I followed directions and sprayed and flour-dusted the molds before pouring in the batter.

Mini Bundt Cakes
I was delighted with the results.  One regular boxed mix made 12 mini cakes.  I filled molds with slightly less than a half cup of batter and followed directions on the box, baking at 350 about 30 minutes, and let let them cool a few minutes when done.  They popped right out.

PhotobucketFor my first time, I doctored the cake mix by adding a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract, and also about a tablespoon of poppy seeds.  Then I made a simple lemon juice and powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over the first two I served.

I froze the extras.  Jazzing the others up in the future offers endless possibilities. I'm now looking forward to trying other flavors and being creative with extracts like peppermint in a chocolate mix, or rum extract in another.  And frostings can vary, too:  chocolate or caramel drizzle and sprinkled with nuts or coconut; or served with fruit and syrup, or just a good old-fashioned scoop of ice cream.

Estimated cost of 12 mini-cakes: $2.00 or less or about .17 cents each or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment