Stuffed Pork Chops, for Two

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppI serve pork in one shape or form, at least once a week ("the other white meat" as they say) for it's economical, and on top of that often on sale.  

The magic pork sale number for me is $2.00 or less per pound!  A variety ethnic dishes call for pork, so it's handy to have on hand.  

When chops or pork steaks are thin, I bread them, but if thicker (3/4 inch or so) I like to make a slit for a pocket then stuff, sear and finish in the oven.

My favorite stuffing is a combination of spinach, onion, garlic, cheese, and sun dried tomatoes.  It's the same mixture I use for stuffed pork loin roast.  Since cooking mostly for two, my meats are repackaged in twos for the freezer.

This recipe can easily be doubled.  For presentation, you'd be surprised how even a small pork chop can look so huge when stuffed.  I've also used the same mixture for stuffed chicken breasts.

Stuffed Pork Chops, for Two
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App2   3/4 thick pork chops, bone in or not
1 cup drained, chopped frozen spinach
3 - 4  Tabs. diced onion
1 tsp. diced garlic
2 Tabs. diced sun dried tomatoes
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (other cheeses work, too)
salt and pepper
optional: (a few Tabs. of bread crumbs can be used in the stuffing)

Preheat oven to 350.
If desired, trim excess fat from chops, and with a sharp knife carefully make a long slit into pork towards the bone. Season both sides with salt and pepper.

Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and stuff chops.  Pinch to seal and hold together with toothpicks.  Any leftover stuffing can be placed on top of chops when they're finishing in the oven.

In a skillet, brown chops on medium high heat to sear, about 5 minutes on each side, then finish by putting skillet in preheated oven for 20 - 30 minutes, depending on size and thickness of chops.

Meat thermometer should read 145-150. Let rest 5-10 minutes, before serving.  If desired, gravy can be made from drippings by deglazing the pan.  If not making gravy, I still deglaze the pan and save juices for soup stock.

Estimated cost: $2.00 or less;  $1.00 per serving or less.

7 comments:

  1. I am going to make this, but use fresh sauted spinach which is drained. I saute spinach all the time using that prewashed baby Spinach and a little olive oil and a minced garlic clove, S$P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would work well! Even fresher tasting. Let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  2. You may know me better as Cocotater. I just printed your green Cheessy Enchiladas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, "Coco" I'm sure you'll enjoy. I think the sauce is so good it's drinkable, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely making these probably after the 9th when I go shop again. Will let you know how Mom and my hub like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I checked out your page and see some recipes I'd like to try - especially the cajun jambalya

      Delete
  4. Hey Gail,

    Like all of your recipes, these look incredible! We would love to feature your recipes on RecipeLion and in our newsletters. If you are interested please contact me at nmaisel@primecp.com. I hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete